Saturday 20 August 2011

Bittersweet Things

This evening, my husband and I successfully had our first SKYPE conversation. I wonder if Skype is in the dictionary yet? I read in the newspaper that "tweet" and "sexting" have now been added to the dictionary as they are so commonly used. How odd that our vocabulary has become so tech jargon specific. Anywho...

We had our first skype conversation, after a week of continual texts and phone calls. It was a very bittersweet moment. I was so excited to see his face, to hear his voice at the same time. I didnt expect my reaction to be so full. After chatting and feeling very much as if we were in the same room, it was time to log off the call. I said goodbye. I welled up. It felt like we were saying "airport farewells" again. In my innermost, a discussion was taking place over whether it is better to allow the growth of an emotional distance to ease our time apart or whether to revel in the short minutes of joy.

Of course it is better to suffer at the farewell in order to be connected as wholly as possible to this man - albeit for only short periods at a time.

It does make me realise that life is full of these bittersweet things. And that throughout my adult years I will have choices. Life would be so much easier if we remained removed, guarded or even aloof. But to have the blessing of a life thus enriched? Surely it is worth the bitter pill that sometimes will accompany it? For how can I experience this sorrow unless having first experienced the joy this love brings? So we continue to skype and I am certain I shall continue to cry at the farewells.

Please God give me strength to endure moments this sad, so that I may grow into a wise and courageous woman later on in life, able to face the other bittersweet things that undoubdtedly will come.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, I welled up with tears at the goodbye part. :( Keep going, my dear friend. He will be back before you know it!
    And you and I need to plan our Skype date! :)
    love you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...