Sunday 21 August 2011

The art of?

I've had a writing bug since I can remember. It first manifest itself when I was in primary school - students were given the chance to enter a poetry contest and the winners would have their pieces published in a student book. My poem was chosen - naturally. It was melodramatic and far too complicated, but from then on, I was hooked.

I have a very deep desire to be able to artistically express myself. Being mostly tone deaf and unable to play an instrument or draw anything more complicated than stick figures, I feel that writing is probably the most successful outlet. I feel music deep within me and I have emotional responses to the world, its people, the mundane and trivial as well as life altering events. I know I am not unique in this, but I am desperate to find a way to express it.

I started journalling but found myself lamenting over family and boys and stereotypical teenage nonsense and therefore, gave it up after a short time. I was terrified that someone would one day stumble upon it and ruin my fame (I do intend to be famous in my chosen field at some stage in my life) by exposing me for a "regular person".

More recently I've dabbled in children's stories, but without direction or education I am fairly certain that the stories are entertained by family members purely because they are my flesh and blood. Have I found my calling? Can a life be made out of writing? And more importantly, how do I know if I have what it takes?

Am I as "regular" as I once imagined in this desire itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...