Sunday 30 October 2011

The small things

I am so so thankful for the small joys in life. Superficial to some, obvious to others. I am not referring to the way my husband makes me laugh hard enough to have to "clench", nor to the roof over my head and warm winter kit or loyalty of my family. For these I am exceptionally grateful and very aware.

No, they are small, insignificant things that really do brighten my day.

An amazing nail polish colour.  (It makes me feel like a million bucks)

The smell of luxury hand wash. (Obscure, but it actually makes me feel calmer and more cheerful)

Clean bed sheets. (I partake in a full 5 minutes of glee when I first get into bed on "clean sheet night")

A perfectly ripe avocado pear. (With salt and pepper? *sigh* its....amazing)

Starbucks. (Specifically a Tall Double Skinny Caramel Macchiato)

A good hair day. (Out of my control and fully capable of putting extra spring in my step all.day.long)

Clinique's Chubby Stick in Cherry. (Its amazing. Its lip balm, with lipstick colour, without stick or chapping)

Lupa's waggy tail. (It has a kink and she wags it at a million mph - its unceasingly humorous)

Classical music. (Of course there are specifics, but it actually makes me feel lighter)

Hymns sung with African harmonies. (Great.joy.)

Summer comic book blockbusters. (Muscles, damsels in distress, cheesy smiles, popcorn, 2hrs to tune out.)

And more and more! Thank God that I am able to be thankful for the little things.

My good friend Vanessa has mentioned a gratitude journal in our Skyping conversations. Its something I am exploring. The specific quote for motivation was unavailable, but its related to changing our perception from that of entitlement to that of gratitude. This can only be good. My recording journey will start with the obvious, and move onto the small, fine things in life that are often forgotten, expected or presumed. I have much that I am thankful for, and much more that I should be thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. Then there is the smell of a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, and the squishiness of freshly baked bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! Mmmmmm warm fresh bread with melty butter! Who wrote that comment anyhow?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...